Sunday 6 December 2015

New concepts of being disabled

I'm not contagious
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
As you see from this photo taken by one of my daughters, I wear a leg support and don't hide the fact. 

I'm not ashamed of the support - I wish I didn't need it - but I do need it. As a result of a genetic flaw, I inherited  http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ehlers-danlos-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx from my mother. There is nothing I can do to avoid the inevitable, within the next two years I will be in a wheelchair - not as a publicity stunt - as Kylie Jenner  https://hereiamattheedge.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/kylie-jenner/ used her chair, but as a reality in my life.  

EDS is one genetic defect I found I have; there are several others. 

As I don't hide the support, I've got used to the odd looks and glances I get from people who don't know me, or my condition. Until recently, I had not considered myself a danger to people that changed about two weeks ago, a lady standing at a crossing moved away from me as if my disability was a disease she could contract.

Blood transfusion
 I can guarantee you, even if you took a sample of my blood and infused yourself with the sample - you could NOT get the illness - there are too many other factors involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment