Wednesday 7 October 2015

Heroes

Memorable people
 True Heroes 
 People talk about sporting heroes, but to me, a hero is required to do something good, not just play sports and get paid well. 

First World War
 During WW1, my late grandfather was enlisted in the East Yorkshire Regiment. I had the opportunity to keep a record of the battles he fought. Owing to a row with my late mother I lost that when I said my aunt Joan could keep his field glasses - on which he'd etched the battles he'd been involved in during the war.  I can remember he took part in  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypres#World_War_I, sadly, I never had the chance to find out which battle he was involved. 
 During the engagements he has bayoneted and the fact he wore a helmet saved his life - he had an indented skull until he died in 1974. My book https://www.books2read.com/u/4AYDJ4 is written as a loving memory of a generation whose lives were changed beyond belief.

India
 Although my late father and I didn't get on for many years, he was involved in a little-known rebellion in India at the end of World War 2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_mutiny.
My father wasn't a part of the uprising, he was stationed in India at the time of the rebellion. 













Royal National Lifeboat Institute
The RNLI like many organisations has awards for bravery, and my late Uncle, Leonard Oliver was among the men of the Teesmouth crew who were awarded a gold medal for bravery. 

One stormy night in October 1972, their lifeboat was launched in gale force winds and a blizzard to rescue a stricken Polish trawler. She was being driven onto the shifting sandbar at the mouth of the River Tees, despite numerous pleas from the lifeboat crew the captain refused to abandon his ship.

 Fearing for the lives of the crew, the boatswain sent a man across to the trawler, to try to impress on him the urgency of the crisis. The man who was sent over was my Uncle, amid roaring seas and freezing winds he crossed the seas, and boarded the ship. My e-book https://www.books2read.com/u/4Xrn63is written as a loving tribute to the men who risk their lives, so sailing is safe. Also mentioned in my story is an accident that left another uncle of mine disabled. The names have been changed, but the story behind the story is part of my family history.

As an after-thought, I always intended to leave something in my will for the RNLI, but as my late mother donated a substantial amount in her will, what I could give wouldn't matter.

Northern Ireland 
 When I was in the Royal Air Force, I got posted to Ireland during "The Troubles," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. To my children, I am a hero because I got awarded the General Service Medal. I don't deserve the medal - in my opinion - our camp was 15 miles from the front line, and in no real danger. The medals should go to the soldiers, police officers and other people involved in the fighting. Because of the amount of GSM recipients, I was one of the last people to be awarded the Medal for this action.

Barnes & Noble/ Book2Read
 These are my links are on Darft2Digital, Barnes & Noble and Books2Read.



No comments:

Post a Comment